Search This Blog

Friday, May 7, 2010

Project brief

Project brief outline 1
Client
Book publisher: Simon and Schuster.
Subject matter
Illustrations of people in places and possibly animals/make-believe creatures.

Approach
Storyboard or a series of drawings.
Aims
To recollect the imagery from a book and portray them in my drawings. 
Primary sources
Observational drawings, photographs, ink doodles.
Secondary sources
Websites; of authors and blogs of chosen artists
Books; favourite childrens’s books garnished with drawings from chosen artists (books by Terry Pratchett illustrated by Jonny Duddle, and Holly Black illustrated by Tony DiTerlizzi etc)
Techniques and processes
  • Drawing inks
  • Gouache
  • Watercolour and colour pencils
  • Oil pastels
  • Experiments with various materials to see which ones work well, either on their own or with other materials, and using illustrations of chosen artists as a guide.
Outcomes
Probably a storyboard or comic book format, but what I have in mind at the moment is a series of illustrations to accompany short snippets from a story, presented in a large scale (probably A2 or A1). If it is possible, I would like to see if I could create a Flash comic by scanning my drawings onto Photoshop and work over it.
How will you review work (Planning, timescale, changes and modifications)
I will be recording my progress as I go along, and taking pictures of my experiments to analyze them. I will continue to develop my own style.
How will you present outcome
My storyboards could be presented on mount board or in a handmade book cover to bind the drawings together. The scale would be slightly larger than the drawings, which would act almost like a large folder with pockets. If I were to create a Flash comic, it could be presented in a DVD format.


Project brief outline 2
Client
Book publisher: Faber and Faber, The Whitsun Weddings by Philip Larkin
Subject matter
Illustrations of objects described in the poem
Approach
A series of drawings to accompany snippets of Larkin's poems
Aims
To recollect the imagery from a book and portray them in my drawings
Primary sources
Observational drawings, photographs, ink doodles, experiments
Secondary sources
Websites; of authors and blogs of chosen artists
Books; research a series of classic poetry/short stories (books by Oscar Wilde and Sylvia Plath) and also stemming from my initial research, I will look into DiTerlizzi's version of The Spider and the Fly which was based on Mary Howitt's 1829 poem.
Techniques and processes
Drawing inks
Watercolour and colour pencils
Oil pastels
Start to carry out ideas, techniques and a style that I have developed and working towards a final outcome.

Outcomes
A series of illustrations to accompany short snippets from poems, presented in a large scale (probably A2 or A1)
How will you review work (Planning, timescale, changes and modifications)
I will continue to improve my original style. I will be recording my progress as I go along, and taking pictures of my experiments to analyze them.
How will you present outcome
My drawings will be presented on mount board or in a handmade book cover to bind the drawings together. Alternatively, they could be presented in my portfolio.

No comments:

Post a Comment