Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Pencil sketches: Study of limbs

We recognize things from memory, however when it comes to portraying the image from our head onto paper can be challenging if we cannot remember the exact position of where things should be. (I always find it very difficult to draw a whole figure from the top of my head without any reference)

Doing simple observational sketches from time to time allows me to familiarize and memorize the forms of things we see everyday that are usually taken for granted.

The following are examples of my drawings. (Click the thumbnails to full-view image)

 

Rough pencil sketches of my own hand
I noticed the level of the thumb is halfway across the palm; not alongside the other four fingers or  near the bottom edge of the wrist.

 

Ink sketches of legs, paying particular attention to feet (in shoes)


 

Practice ink sketches using my less-dominant hand (left hand)


  

Rough ink sketches of figures

The walking figure: I notice that the position/level of the ankles differ with each stride. The ankle of the "pushing" foot is much higher than the other due to the upwards tip-toe position of the overall foot. If the level is the same, the stride motion would appear less convincing.

However if both feet are on a standstill, the base is flat and therefore the levels should be the same.

More of my sketches can be found in my sketchbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment