Search This Blog

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Responses to Dave McKean's work

I tried to create a similar effect of Dave McKean's drawings using materials that were available to me. These drawings were done with oil pastels on coloured sugar paper to achieve a sandy texture.
I started by copying the image from Dave McKean to familiarize myself with the style and technique.

The background was particularly challenging to achieve, but I tried using dynamic linear forces with oil pastels to resemble the original as best as I could, using similar colours.
I then developed the concept further by doing observational drawings of classmates using the same materials and style, also experimenting with more vibrant/warmer colours to achieve a different effect.
I chose a suitable colour of paper for the background to accentuate the subjects. For instance the blue tone works harmoniously with the green background, both of which are cold colours. Above: The purple background compliments the red tones, in a sense that the red is a warm colour whereas the purple is more like a subtle blue shade.


No comments:

Post a Comment